Thursday, September 20, 2012

Borderlands 2 - On the Fence

As mentioned in a previous post about the videogame Borderlands, it is one of the few that has ever really captured my attention. So, I did a rare thing when Borderlands 2 was announced: I pre-ordered a special edition.

It arrived yesterday and I spent many hours playing it after a long day at work. So, let me preface the following paragraphs by stating that I would rather be home playing Borderlands 2 than being at work (yes, I am writing this post at work...try not to be logical and detract from the point being made).

My initial impressions of the game are mixed. Play-ability is almost identical, but the menus are so different that it throws me off every time I open them. The feel of the game is off: it is too colourful now, the dull, drab wasteland seems to be gone. Even when new DLCs were added to Borderlands, it never lost the feel of being in the same place at the same time. Borderlands 2 does take place a few years after the original and starts off on the other side of the planet, so it logically follows that things would be different.

However, I am biased. I did not want things to be different (unusual for me). I would literally buy DLCs for the original game for as long as Gearbox brought them out. I have played and re-played Borderlands until I was bored and shelved it for six months and then played it again: wash, rinse, repeat.

Fine, I will breathe and accept that games change (I wish my life changed as much as games do) and I hope that Borderlands 2 becomes as much of an obsession as the original did.

For now, I am on the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment