I have been getting into eating meatless. This is not due to being an animal lover, it is actually the beginning of a stand I am taking against the rampant consumerism of our society. The idea (to the extreme) is: if I cannot make it, I will not eat it or use it. The more realistic goal is to be seventy percent self-sufficient by the time I am in my sixties (currently in my mid-thirties).
So, without further ado or explanation, here is a recipe I created for meatless breakfast sausage. Trust me, these look and taste nearly exactly like pork sausage. I would challenge anyone to contest it.
This recipe is vegan...depending on the milk used in the spices and what kind of broth/gravy they are boiled in.
Dry Ingredients:
2 cups of vital/80% wheat gluten
1.5 cups of soya/soy flour (other flours would probably be fine - black bean flour works well, but smells weird when mixing...the final product looks like beef though and tastes fine) - flour is what changes the texture of the seitan...more flour = less rubbery/chewy
3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional, but adds a variety of vitamins and protein)
3 tbsp of dried onions crushed/broken (if a 1/2 cup of fresh onion is used, place with the wet ingredients)
2 or 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 tbsp coarse salt
2 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dry mustard
3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Wet Ingredients:
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (optional - replace with other liquid if desired)
2 tbsp milk/soy milk
3/4 cup of water (more will be added later 2 tbsp at a time)
Boiling stock:
2-3 litres/quarts of vegetable broth
or
1 pack of gravy mix with 4-8 cups of water and 2 cups of vegetable broth
Add spices to stock as desired.
Prep (use a large mixing bowl):
Mix or sift together the wheat gluten and flour.
Mix in spices.
Combine syrup, milk, and water in measuring cup.
Create a "well" in the flour/spice mix to pour the liquid into.
Pour in the liquid and mix as much as possible with a spoon.
Time to get your hands dirty. Ditch the spoon. Mix and squeeze with your fingers.
The mix should be quite dry.
Mix in 2 tbsp of water at a time until all of the flour in the bowl is combined in the ball in your hands (I believe I did this 5 or 6 times). The ball will feel slightly sticky, but your hands should actually be coming away cleanly from the mix.
"Sausage" making:
Knead the dough mix on a lightly-floured surface.
Rip off small balls and form them into sausage-like shapes. Don't make them too big - they will double in size when boiled. (I managed to make 47 sausages out of this mixture)...and yes...you may find they look rather like...uh...turds...
Get your stock boiling. The more broth your have, the more sausages you can boil at one time. I boiled half of my sausages at a time and just watered down my stock for the second batch since it does disappear. Do whatever you're comfortable doing.
Boil the sausages for an hour. Set them aside on paper towel or a cooling rack and pan.
They are ready to eat, but for best results, pan-fry them with a tablespoon or two of oil to get the look and texture just right.
Make some pancakes/crepes and enjoy some "pigs"-in-a-blanket!
No comments:
Post a Comment